Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wiki Technology

The function of technology in our classrooms is to support the “new” pedagogy of students educating themselves with the teacher’s direction (Prensky, 2008). Wiki technology allows this 'new' pedagogy paradigm to evolve allowing students to discover, research and learn from everything that is around them.

This is my first attempt at creating a 'Wiki'. I chose to use the Wetpaint site and after exploring the site and having a play around found it incredibly easy to use. The use for this type of technology in and out of the classroom is definitely an area that I would seriously consider using.

The students could work independently or collaboratively in small groups. It also lends itself to be able to scaffold the students towards higher order learning. My first attempt has seen me give the students a task for the week, I have chosen 'Safe Food Handling Procedures' and I have also embedded a video to help out the student's towards further research of the topic.

So have a look and tell me what you think. I have just returned from my first two weeks of prac and the topic in nutrition was on food handling practices, both my mentor teacher and myself had issues with student behaviour in some of these classes, mainly pupils complaining about the amount of writing they had to do. Using this technology as a tool to engage them would certainly go some way in stemming this behaviour.

Loretta
http://mskreis.wetpaint.com/


Reference.

Prensky, M. (2009). The role of technology. Retrieved August 23, 2009, from
http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky-The_Role_of_Technology-ET-11-12-08.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment